Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Artist Crush: Hayley Gaberlavage

While looking at new paintings by one of my favorite New Orleans artists, Amanda Talley, I stumbled upon Hayley Gaberlavage. I was immediately drawn to the humor in her art combined with the inspiration of her Southern roots. 



Hayley studied Interior Design before receiving her Masters in Fine Arts at Savannah College of Art & Design. She now lives and works in New Orleans. 



"In my paintings I contemporize the out-dated. With a sentiment for bygone attitudes and appearances, my acrylic on paper, canvas and panel paintings shimmy in two directions: towards the decorative, where I explore long-time infatuation with design, and in a sociological portraiture where innocence is equally dispersed amongst irreverent youth and the blue collar Americana of my Alabama roots." (Hayley Gaberlavage)



"My technique of evaporating background into swarthy brushstrokes allows time into the work, the acknowledgment of memory, which is imperfect, always unfinished, and congruous to the retro aesthetic and mood." (Hayley Gaberlavage)



Hayley and Amanda recently launched Transport Studio: a forum for collectors to obtain the works of featured artists at a discount for a limited time. They recently kicked things off with a 3-day sale, but look forward to more opportunities to purchase a beautiful piece in the future as Transport Studio grows. 



3 comments:

  1. Thanks Paige for the wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pleasure was mine - I absolutely love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you said, Hayley about your work, too. It puts it into a new perspective. Fabulous stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

design + development by fabulous k